Royal Air Maroc League
The league comprises of designated events throughout the season – road races and time trials held across Qatar. Points are awarded by finishing position and poorer scores may be discarded, allowing riders to drop bad results or miss a race. The final race can therefore be crucial as some participants complete their full quota of counting races while others calculate who they must beat in order to improve their score and compete for the grand prize awarded by Royal Air Maroc.
The races are open to all but to score league points you must be a full member of Qatar Cycling Federation. Pre-registration is required and is open from a few weeks before until two days prior to the event. Races are listed on the events list and announced on Qatar Cycling Federation’s Facebook. QCF reserves the right to add or remove races from the league at any point in the season.
Points will be awarded in each category as follows:
- To the first 10 places: 100, 88, 78,70, 65, 61, 58, 56, 54, 52
- From 11th to 31st scores drop in 2 point increments: 50, 48, 46…
- From 32nd to 40th scores drop in 1 point increments: 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
- Starters receive 1 point
- Disqualified participants forfeit all points for the race.
COUNTING RACES AND THE SCARLET JERSEY COMPETITION
Your points tally at any stage of the league depends on the number of races completed:
- 1 to 2 races: Total score
- 3 to 5 races: Best total excluding lowest score
- 6 to 8 races: Best total excluding 2 lowest scores
- 9 to 10 races: Best total excluding 3 lowest scores
- In the case that more than one rider has the same score the following determine the ranking: 1) Wins 2) Podium placings 3) Most recent result
The leaders in each category have the honour of wearing the Scarlet Jersey. It may only be worn by the current leader during races but it may be worn at any time outside competition. One jersey will be awarded per leader per season. The previous season’s winners may wear the Scarlet jersey at the first race of the season.
Races are contested in ability categories. You may choose to race in any category according to your state of fitness:
- A grade – the longest and fastest category averaging >40 kph
- B grade/Women A – averaging 36-38 kph
- C grade/Women B – a shorter race for ‘weekend warriors’ and slower riders averaging <35 kph